Sunday, March 1, 2020

My Ex-Boyfriend's New Girlfriend is Lady Gaga

Lindsay Crouse, "My Ex-Boyfriend's New Girlfriend is Lady Gaga," New York Times, March 1, 2020, p. 4.

     Page six produced a deep dive into Lady Gaga's new "mystery man,."  Refinery29 announced that Gaga was "wearing 2020's hottest new accessory: a normal boyfriend."  The story appeared in the Daily Mail, and Business insider and People, where my mother read about the couple after checking the magazine out from the local library
     I dated this normal, mystery man for seven years.  Our relationship lasted all of college, and then a few years more. (A popular song from back then described being "caught in a bad romance.")
      As you can guess from the fact that you've probably never heard of me, I'm not famous. 

COMMENT

    The article descries celebrity gossip spread on the Internet, though the author's mother is still old-fashioned enough to check People out of the library. And  People is still publishing a print edition despite the instant celebrity-gawking on the Web.  I know because sometimes I look at it while I'm waiting at the car mechanic's.  Those magazines are often several years old and do something the Internet doesn't.  They are an archive that reminds you of old, out of date celebrity gossip.   I hope there is a library somewhere saving them.

No comments: