Saturday, December 18, 2021

Chloe Kim Is Grown Up and Ready for the Olympic Spotlight

 

John Branch, "Chloe Kim Is Grown Up and Ready for the Olympic Spotlight," New York Times, 

Kezia Dickson, a student from New York, vaguely knew who Kim was. She saw people stare at Kim in the dining hall. She heard them whisper, “Oh, my God, that’s Chloe Kim,” as Kim played pool.

Dickson sensed how uncomfortable it must be. She introduced herself and, at some point, mentioned that she was struggling in French, a language familiar to Kim.

“Chloe gave me her phone number and was like, ‘I really like chatting with you, and if you ever need help in French, just reach out to me,’” Dickson recalled. “I did, and she actually answered the phone. And then we went to the library and she tutored me for three hours. And she would do it every other week.”

COMMENT

The library offers study space that also serves as a place of refuge for an Olympic gold medalist to establish a friendship. 

No comments: